Blog

keep up with the latest industry insights and updates from hairyLemon.

hairyLemon

6 steps to plan your digital marketing for 2020

>And so we start a new year - a new decade even! Once everyone's back from the summer holidays, we’ve got you covered for a thorough planning session to kick-start the roaring 2020s. Here are 6...

hairyLemon

Managing your Google my business page

>If your business or organisation relies on local clients or customers and benefits from showing up in local search results for queries like “nearest xyz to me” “xyz in Christchurch” for example...

hairyLemon

How fast (or slow) is your website?

>The speed of your website probably isn’t something you think about day to day, but it can have a sizeable impact on your business. Amazon calculates that a page load slowdown of one second could...

Neon signs on a brick wall with a speech bubble, thumbs up, arrow, and heart

How to handle approaches from social media influencers

>We work with a number of tourism operators who regularly receive requests from ‘social media influencers’ requesting free or discounted accommodation or services. Because mileage can definitely...

laptop with a lock on the top and workers going about their daily tasks

Is my data being stolen?

>How to protect your business and personal information online Over the last year, there have been significant changes in the privacy space. There has been a general shift by online businesses and...

a hacker sitting on a laptop, surrounded by numbers and images showing bugs, skull and crossbones, and shields

Website security: Is your website safe from hackers?

>Security breaches are at a record high - globally and here in New Zealand, and can have a huge impact on your business Security has been at the forefront of everyone's minds recently, in light of...

thumbs up and hearts

Do you need a Facebook Group for your business?

>Facebook Groups have become one of the hottest places to hang out on the world’s largest social media platform. People love being able to share their content, thoughts and questions with others...

WordPress logo and Statamic logo

What is Statamic – and why should we care?

>Where did Statamic come from? How does Statamic work? And most importantly, how do you even say Statamic? Statamic (pronounced stat-ah-mick) is a pioneer in a new era of ‘content management...

a lady's face with the words

Top trends in digital design for 2018/19

>As a digital agency, we invest a significant amount of time in keeping up with what’s happening in the world of digital design – from websites to mobile apps and digital advertising. Our focus is...

hairyLemon

Claiming and managing your Apple Maps business listing

>We recently blogged about the importance of managing your Google My Business page (which is also linked to your Google Maps listing) but one thing that is often forgotten is to also update and...

lock with a circle of stars around it

Preparing for GDPR compliance - what does it mean for NZ?

>Regardless of the type of business you are in, you are most likely noticing a recent influx of emails from companies like Google and Facebook letting you know about updates to their Privacy...

person holding an envelope with an @ symbol on the letter

Nurturing repeat donations using email marketing

>Building a long-term relationship with your donors takes time and effort, but it is well worth it. If they have donated to your organisation once, they are likely to donate again. It is crucial to...

keyboard with one key showing the word donate and a heart

Encouraging donations online - website tips and advice

>Getting a donation online can be hard work. Having a basic “donate” button on your website is no longer enough to gather regular funds via your website. This blog will give you some ideas, tips...

hands holding hearts

Growing and diversifying the pathway to giving

>All NGO’s are different and operate in their own unique ways, so different income streams work better in different environments. Making sure you have a healthy mix of income sources will not only...

an illustration showing various methods of communication, including monitors, cameras, a cloud, letters, and a phone

Digital communication for NGO's

>Welcome to the first in a series of digital advice blogs for non-profits, charities or NGOs. We have started with a general overview, which will be followed by more in depth blogs that take you...

hairyLemon

Are you in marketing planning mode?

>It’s a new year, and you are likely to be in planning mode. If you’re working out marketing budgets for the year, have a quick read – this will give you insight into how businesses benefit from...

a desk showing hands of people working on laptops, holding phones, and inspecting documents

Working on your business over winter

>If your business tends to get a little quieter over the winter months, it can be a good time to do some housekeeping on your digital estate. There may be a worthwhile way you can be using your time...

two computer monitors with arms coming out of the screens, one holding a credit card and one holding a shopping bag

Google Shopping is here

>Google Shopping has finally launched in New Zealand, and is likely to change the game for e-commerce. Google Shopping (originally called Froogle) started as a free product listing on Google, and...

laptop showing a contact page with speech bubbles

Giving your Contact Us page some love

>hairyLemon has worked with clients on hundreds of websites over the last 16 years, and most of them have one thing in common - the pages that get the most visits. Almost without exception, they...

hands holding a phone in front of buildings, with a diagram showing people engaging with content in different ways

Does my business need a digital strategy?

>The answer to this question is (like most business questions) – it depends. Partly it depends on the nature of your business, your goals and expectations, and whether your customers are using...

a laptop with shop graphics over the top, surrounded by images showing the sales process

Customer engagement - moving beyond social

>Over the last few years, the ‘holy grail’ of social media Return on Investment (ROI) has been engagement. Engagement is not about how many followers you have on your social media pages, but about...

a laptop with someone typing, and graphics showing data

Turning customer insights into action

>It's a time of 'analytics for everything' - there is data capturing behaviour online, instore, or even just on the street. What do you do with that data, and how do you translate that into useful...

a laptop surrounded by text, videos, and a magnifying glass

What does content have to do with it?

>As a digital agency that builds a lot of websites for our clients, one of the biggest barriers to getting a site completed and live is the content. This is mostly the written content, but also...

People working on writing content for web

The rules of great web writing that you should know

>Knowing your audience is the first rule of effective marketing - and effective writing. As a business, you probably have a pretty good idea of your primary audience demographics. But here’s a...

a lady's face with the words

Top trends in digital design for 2018/19

>As a digital agency, we invest a significant amount of time in keeping up with what’s happening in the world of digital design – from websites to mobile apps and digital advertising. Our focus is...

laptop showing a contact page with speech bubbles

Giving your Contact Us page some love

>hairyLemon has worked with clients on hundreds of websites over the last 16 years, and most of them have one thing in common - the pages that get the most visits. Almost without exception, they...

hairyLemon

How fast (or slow) is your website?

>The speed of your website probably isn’t something you think about day to day, but it can have a sizeable impact on your business. Amazon calculates that a page load slowdown of one second could...

a hacker sitting on a laptop, surrounded by numbers and images showing bugs, skull and crossbones, and shields

Website security: Is your website safe from hackers?

>Security breaches are at a record high - globally and here in New Zealand, and can have a huge impact on your business Security has been at the forefront of everyone's minds recently, in light of...

WordPress logo and Statamic logo

What is Statamic – and why should we care?

>Where did Statamic come from? How does Statamic work? And most importantly, how do you even say Statamic? Statamic (pronounced stat-ah-mick) is a pioneer in a new era of ‘content management...

hairyLemon

6 steps to plan your digital marketing for 2020

>And so we start a new year - a new decade even! Once everyone's back from the summer holidays, we’ve got you covered for a thorough planning session to kick-start the roaring 2020s. Here are 6...

hairyLemon

Managing your Google my business page

>If your business or organisation relies on local clients or customers and benefits from showing up in local search results for queries like “nearest xyz to me” “xyz in Christchurch” for example...

Neon signs on a brick wall with a speech bubble, thumbs up, arrow, and heart

How to handle approaches from social media influencers

>We work with a number of tourism operators who regularly receive requests from ‘social media influencers’ requesting free or discounted accommodation or services. Because mileage can definitely...

thumbs up and hearts

Do you need a Facebook Group for your business?

>Facebook Groups have become one of the hottest places to hang out on the world’s largest social media platform. People love being able to share their content, thoughts and questions with others...

hairyLemon

Claiming and managing your Apple Maps business listing

>We recently blogged about the importance of managing your Google My Business page (which is also linked to your Google Maps listing) but one thing that is often forgotten is to also update and...

person holding an envelope with an @ symbol on the letter

Nurturing repeat donations using email marketing

>Building a long-term relationship with your donors takes time and effort, but it is well worth it. If they have donated to your organisation once, they are likely to donate again. It is crucial to...

keyboard with one key showing the word donate and a heart

Encouraging donations online - website tips and advice

>Getting a donation online can be hard work. Having a basic “donate” button on your website is no longer enough to gather regular funds via your website. This blog will give you some ideas, tips...

hands holding hearts

Growing and diversifying the pathway to giving

>All NGO’s are different and operate in their own unique ways, so different income streams work better in different environments. Making sure you have a healthy mix of income sources will not only...

an illustration showing various methods of communication, including monitors, cameras, a cloud, letters, and a phone

Digital communication for NGO's

>Welcome to the first in a series of digital advice blogs for non-profits, charities or NGOs. We have started with a general overview, which will be followed by more in depth blogs that take you...

hairyLemon

Are you in marketing planning mode?

>It’s a new year, and you are likely to be in planning mode. If you’re working out marketing budgets for the year, have a quick read – this will give you insight into how businesses benefit from...

a desk showing hands of people working on laptops, holding phones, and inspecting documents

Working on your business over winter

>If your business tends to get a little quieter over the winter months, it can be a good time to do some housekeeping on your digital estate. There may be a worthwhile way you can be using your time...

two computer monitors with arms coming out of the screens, one holding a credit card and one holding a shopping bag

Google Shopping is here

>Google Shopping has finally launched in New Zealand, and is likely to change the game for e-commerce. Google Shopping (originally called Froogle) started as a free product listing on Google, and...

hands holding a phone in front of buildings, with a diagram showing people engaging with content in different ways

Does my business need a digital strategy?

>The answer to this question is (like most business questions) – it depends. Partly it depends on the nature of your business, your goals and expectations, and whether your customers are using...

a laptop with shop graphics over the top, surrounded by images showing the sales process

Customer engagement - moving beyond social

>Over the last few years, the ‘holy grail’ of social media Return on Investment (ROI) has been engagement. Engagement is not about how many followers you have on your social media pages, but about...

a laptop with someone typing, and graphics showing data

Turning customer insights into action

>It's a time of 'analytics for everything' - there is data capturing behaviour online, instore, or even just on the street. What do you do with that data, and how do you translate that into useful...

a laptop surrounded by text, videos, and a magnifying glass

What does content have to do with it?

>As a digital agency that builds a lot of websites for our clients, one of the biggest barriers to getting a site completed and live is the content. This is mostly the written content, but also...

People working on writing content for web

The rules of great web writing that you should know

>Knowing your audience is the first rule of effective marketing - and effective writing. As a business, you probably have a pretty good idea of your primary audience demographics. But here’s a...

laptop with a lock on the top and workers going about their daily tasks

Is my data being stolen?

>How to protect your business and personal information online Over the last year, there have been significant changes in the privacy space. There has been a general shift by online businesses and...

lock with a circle of stars around it

Preparing for GDPR compliance - what does it mean for NZ?

>Regardless of the type of business you are in, you are most likely noticing a recent influx of emails from companies like Google and Facebook letting you know about updates to their Privacy...